Friday, August 22, 2008

We Have to Switch Now!

Today I spoke with a man who heard me make an off the cuff remark about renewable energy in a 'gas and go' store. He was concerned, he's a boat captain and he's noticed things that are not good. He's noticed certain breeds of fish are no more, flotsam and jetsam are strange and alien. We have seriously damaged our eco-system, but it's not too late. We can save it, we have to try at least. Renewable energy is solar, water, and wind. We have the technology to make use of all of these options. We don't have the desire, money is clouding the issue.
We have all fed at that stand, and some of us still are there, oil refineries, coal fired power plants etc. I am as guilty as anyone, I was an engineer for a quarter of a century, the last ten years I changed my focus. I can still make a great deal of money perpetuating this crime against nature, however I have children and grandchildren. What kind of legacy are we leaving our offspring? I am advocating the immediate cessation of power generation utilizing fossil fuel, we have to switch to renewable sources of energy for our power needs. You won't have to give up anything, you can still have all of the gadgets you want. But we have to begin immediately. If we don't, this crisis will become a disaster. Stay tuned, I'll explain completely in future writings.
If you have any thoughts, write I'll listen.

No comments: